Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Character: Gertrude

I personally think that Gertrude is smarter than currrently portrayed. I think that she is smart and is did and continues to do things for a certain reason. The way she handles things may be seen as ignorance. During this time period women were not really given much of a voice, and are supposed to remain quiet and passive throughout their life time. Gertrude does in fact love Hamlet and her country Denmark and I feel as though the only she could make sure that everything stayed the way it was is through marrying Claudius. This way she could secure the peace of Denmark and most importantly make sure that her son, Hamlet will be alright.
In the website, they mention Gertude as "thoughtful and sensitive in her attempts to intervene. She is not simply an unwitting victim of her circumstances."

http://elsinore.ucsc.edu/women/womenGertrude.html

No comments:

Post a Comment